The Hounds

The Hounds
The sad news is that Rainy, Guinness, and Diva have all gone to the Bridge. Helping out now are Charley and Perry.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Information overload?

I was searching earlier for an article discussing the price of hard drives going up due to flooding in Thailand. I believe it was from TechRepublic. The main point was because demand is still there for hard drives that the price will go up because;
  • The manufacturers do not have the numbers to meet the demand
  • It only makes business sense to raise the prices until the supply increases (thus also providing additional profit)
Comments by readers of the article shared speculation that SSD (Solid State Drives) will now become more favorable due to the price increase. Further speculation was that the prices may even go down (I'm not so sure about that one).

The point I'm trying to make is that even though I remember the content I cannot find this article. I don't know if it was from Twitter, Facebook, or from one of my email accounts. Are we becoming saturated with so much information from the wonderful technology we have available to us that we will start to lose some of this information? Accidental deletions (I've done that), reading and forgetting where it originally came from, or just so much at one time that we miss a lot.

A final comment on this...when I was working, I would return from a weeks vacation and find 500+ emails in my in box. Most I skimmed through and deleted (those that did not pertain to me), some I would read, others I would file in the correct spots and mark as read.

What do you think about this? Do you have the same sort of information overload? Any thoughts on what is a good way to control it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment